For all fans of hiking and nature there is a trail network of excellent paths being built around the Saar-Hunsrück-Steig, called the „Traumschleifen“ (dream routes). The first one of those inside the county of Birkenfeld is the Medieval Path next to Herrstein, which is about 5 kilometres from the Saar-Hunsrück-Steig.
The trail starts in the medieval centre of Herrstein. The connection to the middle ages remains through various illustrations alongside the trail.
The Medieval Path goes from Herrstein (which is at the same time start and ending point of it) ca. 8.5 kilometres on mostly natural paths (72% natural subsoil) close to the villages Niederhosenbach and Breitenthal. Lots of creeks, waters, forests, rocks and especially the magnificent views are characteristics of this trail.
- Historical centre of Herrstein (guided tours from May to October starting every Thursday 4:30 pm and every Saturday at 2:30 pm)
- Close to the village Niederhosenbach (presumed birthplace of Hildegard of Bingen)
- Nature monument „Rabenkanzel“ (raven pulpit), which is a steep quarzite cliff close to Niederhosenbach
- Nature monument „Jammereiche“ (wailing oak tree) at Breitenthal (reminding of an event taking place there during the Thirty Year's War)
- Integrated resting places and „Sinnesbänke“ (sense benches located at certain points) enable to enjoy and experience the local landscape
- Viewpoint tower Herrstein
Furthermore, Herrstein provides dining facilities where hikers can refresh before and after their tours:
Café Zehntscheune, Schloßweg 13 (Phone: 06785 – 1658)
„About the Medieval Path in and around Herrstein (winner of the category „day trips“) we were especially satisfied about its quality as a family friendly tour, that manages to fill even children and adolescents with enthusiasm about hiking.
Being not too short, not too long, the Medieval Path is a perfect fit for a day's trip, says the jury about the 8.6 kilometres long trail with a height difference of 240 metres and taking about 3 hours to walk.“
Download Flyer Traumschleife here...